Caldo Verde (kale soup). Portuguese kale soup, or caldo verde, considered Portugal's national dish, is a soup of pureed potatoes, kale sliced whisker thin, and smoky pork sausage. This Portuguese kale soup, also known as caldo verde, is a traditional soup made with potatoes, chorizo sausage, and thinly sliced kale. This soup is so hearty and comforting, you'll almost forget how good it is for you.
Learn how to make Caldo Verde, an amazingly delicious Portuguese sausage, kale, and potato soup! This is comfort food at its finest. Caldo verde is a popular soup in Portuguese cuisine. You can cook Caldo Verde (kale soup) using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Caldo Verde (kale soup)
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 of stock cube.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 2 liter of water.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 3 of garlic cloves (finely chopped).
- Prepare 50 grams of chorizo (sliced).
- It’s 3 medium of potatoes (add more or less depending on your preference of how thick you want soup).
- Prepare 500 grams of of kale or any other dark cabbage (finely sliced).
The basic traditional ingredients for caldo verde use collard greens (or alternatively other leafy greens such as kale or mustard greens), potatoes. Caldo verde, a potato and kale soup from northern Portugal, is one of those dishes that seem custom-made for lazy rainy days, when you want something hearty and comforting but don't feel like putting in a ton of effort. Caldo Verde – Portuguese Green Soup. To make this Caldo Verde recipe the Portuguese way, cut the kale or collard greens into thin strips instead of chopping it.
Caldo Verde (kale soup) step by step
- First start by boiling your potatoes as normal..
- In a seperate pot, add the water, stock cube, salt, olive oil and bay leave..
- Bring to the boil and cook for about 20 minutes..
- Once potatoes are cooked and drained, mash finely..
- Add the mash to the soup, stir and cook for another 10-12 minutes..
- Add the kale to the pot, cook for another 15-20 minutes..
- Add the chorizo 10 minutes before turning the stove off along with another drizzle of olive oil..
- Check seasoning leave to rest for 10 minutes and serve..
If you don't cut it into strips, the Portuguese would say it's not Portuguese Caldo Verde soup. Caldo Verde is a Portuguese soup made with potatoes, collard greens, olive oil and thinly sliced sausage (chorizo, linguiça or kielbasa)! One of my favorite Portuguese dishes, especially in this insane NYC weather, is the Caldo Verde. It is the ultimate healthy comfort food to warm you up on a. The ingredients of Caldo Verde Soup are simple and inexpensive.