Vegetarian Pho. It's possible to have vegetarian pho with this broth made from soy sauce and a blend of spices like star anise and cinnamon. All that's required is a willingness to invest in making the broth. Traditionally, pho is made with strips of beef, and the broth is flavored with fish sauce.
Here, store-bought vegetable broth is spiked with onion, garlic, and spices for a full-bodied vegetarian alternative. Place vegetable stock, onion, soy sauce, garlic, cinnamon sticks, ground ginger, star anise, and bay leaves in a large pot; bring to a boil. This vegetarian pho is an exception, though. You can have Vegetarian Pho using 25 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vegetarian Pho
- You need of For the Soup.
- Prepare 2 of onions (peeled and halved).
- Prepare 7 cm of piece of ginger (peeled and quartered).
- You need 1 of cinnamon stick.
- You need 5 of white peppercorns.
- Prepare 3 of star anise.
- Prepare 3 of whole cloves.
- Prepare 1 tsp of coriander seeds.
- You need 2 L of vegetable stock.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 6 of carrots (peeled and coarsely chopped).
- Prepare 3 of dried shiitake mushrooms.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- You need of Other Ingredients.
- Prepare 4-5 portions of thick dried rice noodles.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 220 g of five-spice tofu, sliced.
- You need of Toppings & Garnish.
- You need 400 g of broccolini (trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces).
- You need 2-3 heads of baby bok choy (washed and quartered lengthwise).
- It’s 180 g of bean sprouts.
- It’s 400 g of button mushrooms (trimmed and sliced).
- It’s of Salt and white pepper.
- Prepare 1 cup of Vietnamese mint.
- It’s 1 of lime (cut into wedges).
The broth, which picks up great flavor from the spices, a slight sweetness from the carrots, and the subtlest of charred aromas from the onion and ginger, is what truly makes this soup for me. I prefer keeping the toppings to a minimum so I can let the broth stand out and take center stage. A vegan pho recipe has been on my "to make some day" list for a long time. I got the idea from a Vietnamese restaurant just a short walk away from our house.
Vegetarian Pho step by step
- To make a more flavourful soup, charring the onion and ginger goes a long way. Do this by simply grilling the onion and ginger until their surface is slightly blackened – take care not to overdo this and actually burn them. Once they are nicely charred, remove from the heat and set them aside..
- Dry fry the cinnamon, white peppercorns, star anise, cloves, and coriander seeds over low heat in a stockpot. Fry the herbs until fragrant..
- Once the oils in the herbs have been released, add the vegetable stock, charred onion and ginger, carrots, shiitake mushrooms, and soy sauce. Turn the heat up to high until the stock begins to boil..
- Once the stock begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium low and cover with a lid. Allow to simmer for 60-90 mins..
- When the soup is done, strain it through a wire-mesh strainer and season with salt. Keep the soup warm for later..
- Prepare the rice noodles according to packet instructions. Once cooked, drain the noodles through a sieve and rinse under running water to stop the cooking..
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium high heat. Pan fry the brocollini until tender and lightly browned. You can add some salt to season the vegetables. Do the same for the button mushrooms and baby bok choy. Set aside the toppings..
- Add the portions of noodles into their own separate bowls. Top with the pan fried vegetables, five spice tofu, and bean sprouts, then, pour over with the warm soup..
- Garnish with lime wedges and Vietnamese mint and serve hot..
Their mushroom pho is has a richly spiced broth and loads of slurpy noodles. It's hot, flavorful, and comforting, but it still feels nice and fresh. Vegan Pho Ingredients: Alright, a few notes about ingredients before we get to the recipe. To make this vegan pho soup recipe, you will need: Veggies: We typically follow the lead of our favorite vegetarian-friendly Vietnamese restaurant here in Barcelona, and add a mixture of baby bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and sliced carrots to our veggie. The national dish of Vietnam, pho is an aromatic noodle soup that's traditionally made with beef broth.