Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup. Delicious sausages made with premium ingredients. Add sausage, potatoes, kale, and mushrooms to the stockpot. Add half-and-half and season with salt and pepper.
This super fast Sausage and Kale Skillet is a flavorful and hearty weeknight dinner. Add pasta to stretch it even further. Add to the pan along with the spices and bay leaf. You can cook Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup
- It’s 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of large stem celery, chopped.
- Prepare 3 of medium carrots, cut into 1/4" thick discs (or however you like to chop carrots for soup).
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- Prepare 1/2 Tablespoon of oil.
- It’s 1 bunch of kale, washed well, stems removed, and rough chopped.
- It’s of optional: 4 cups arugula or spinach (I just happened to have arugula that needed to get used up).
- You need 6 cups of unsalted liquid (water or broth of choice).
- It’s 1/2 Tablespoon of salt.
- You need 1 pound of sausage, cut into bite sized pieces.
- It’s 4 of tomatoes, chopped or one 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I just happened to have fresh ones that were starting to get wrinkly…).
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1 teaspoon of oregano.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- You need 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes.
Check out my other kale recipes: Kale Salad with Warm Andouille Sausage. The sausage and bacon in this creamy kale and sausage soup give it a wonderful savory flavor, while the potatoes add just a bit of healthy starchy carb content, the cream a touch of richness, and lemon juice adds a bright acidity that really lets the flavors sing. Add kale, beans, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, seasonings and stock to slow cooker. Kale is a superfood and for good reason!
Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup instructions
- In a 4 to 5 quart pot, bring 1/2 Tablespoon oil up to medium heat and sweat onions, carrots, celery, and garlic until onions start to turn translucent. (About 3 minutes or so.).
- Add kale, arugula, liquid, salt, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Once kale has wilted, add tomatoes, sausage, bay, and oregano and cook, COVERED, for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Add mashed potatoes and cook COVERED again for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Before the last 10 minutes of cooking, adjust seasoning if needed..
- Enjoy! :).
Loaded with essential vitamins, minerals, and a dose of fiber, kale also has a nice earthy flavor that makes it so versatile! I use turkey sausage in this soup to cut the fat a bit but any smoked sausage will do. Stir in chicken broth, water, Italian seasoning, and cooked sausage and bring to a boil. Prepare the kale and set it aside. In a medium pot. boil sliced potatoes until tender.