Yum Jin Gai / Spicy Chicken soup. Think of the best chicken soup you've had: steaming hot, rich, comforting, and soul-satisfying to the core. Now add to that the complex fragrance of fresh Thai herbs like lemongrass, galangal, a sweet shallots. And wait, we're not done yet!
Do you remember way back to that seventh time you watched Ghostbusters and you said to yourself, "Holy crap. The Thai word 'Tom' refers to the boiling process of cooking the soup. 'Yum' refers to a spicy salad. So broken down, you are making a hot and sour soup by boiling a spicy mixture of salad vegetables and in this case chicken. You can cook Yum Jin Gai / Spicy Chicken soup using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Yum Jin Gai / Spicy Chicken soup
- It’s 1 of whole chicken ,or legs ,breasts.
- You need 2 liter of water.
- You need 2 of lemongrass stalks.
- It’s 5 of kaffir lime leaves.
- It’s 2 of onion.
- It’s 1 of galangal ,1 inch.
- Prepare 1 head of turmeric.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of prik larb muang ,see in my recipe.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of fishsauce.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 bunch of each spring onion,coriander,mints.
Tom yum is often made with shrimp (prawns) or chicken but you can make it with the main ingredient of your choice. Fish sauce – Full of earthy umami, fish sauce gives the tom yum a salty, savory flavor. How To Make Tom Yum Soup. Boil the lemongrass, chili, and galangal or ginger in the chicken stock.
Yum Jin Gai / Spicy Chicken soup instructions
- Boil water,add salt,crushed lemongrass ,galangal,kaffir lime leaves,turmeric ,chicken,onion ,coriander roots,simmer until chicken tender ,fall apart ,apprimately 45 mins ,take all out from the pot ,left only soup.
- Tear or chop chicken into pieces ,add back to clear soup pot ,let it simmering.
- Stir prik larb with some hot soup ,add to soup pot ,add fish sauce,cook 5 more mins.
- Chop coriander,mints,spring onion,add to soup,heat off and serve hot with sticky rice ..it s famous northern thai dish ,my favorite and want to write in my recipes :)).
This traditional and authentic Thai chicken soup recipe, known here as Tom Yum Gai, features big chunks of low fat chicken breast meat and mushrooms in a spi. This is our version of the hot and sour soup, modified to taste as much as possible like the wonderful version we would get at our favorite Thai restaurant, Bahn Na, in Ypsilanti, MI. I've included the modifications (*) that make it vegetarian-friendly. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with the kosher salt. Taste the soup and check for seasoning; it should be slightly salty and sour.